New home windows provide a host of benefits including increasing your home’s curb appeal, helping your home be more energy-efficient and increasing your home’s overall value. These benefits are maximized when you select the right window for the space. One style of window that providers of replacement windows in Mountain View, CA. may suggest is a sliding window.
With these windows being less common than traditional double-hung windows, you may not be aware of their advantages or how they operate. Keep reading to learn what you need to know about these windows.
What is a Sliding Window?
Sliding windows, sometimes called gliders or gliding windows, are believed to be invented in Holland in the 17th century. These windows are horizontal with the panes moving from side to side rather than up and down as with a more traditional double-hung window.
Types of Sliding Windows
You can find slider windows in three main types:
- Single-slider – These windows have one fixed pane and one moveable pane.
- Double-slider – Double-slider windows may have two or three panes, but two of these panes are moveable. These windows can be open from either end.
- Three-pane slider– These windows feature a large pane in the middle and one on each side that is moveable
Spaces Ideal for a Sliding Window
While sliding windows can add style to any space, some areas lend themselves to be ideal for this type of window. Some of these spaces include:
- Window openings that are wider than they are tall
- Spaces where you want an unobstructed view of the outside
- Rooms with low ceilings
- Areas that need more ventilation
- Spaces where it may be difficult to operate a double-hung window (For example: over a kitchen sink)
Every type of window has its own advantages, and a sliding window is no different. Some of the most popular reasons homeowners choose this type of window include:
- Easy to operate – sliding windows are very easy to operate. Since they easily move along with a roller, opening and closing them doesn’t require a lot of force. This makes a nice choice if you or someone in your household is elderly and may have a difficult time opening and closing a heavier double-hung window.
- Easy to clean and maintain – Many sliding windows panes are able to come out entirely. This feature makes them super easy to clean.
- They bring the outside in – Since most sliding windows have large panes, they allow maximum sunlight to enter the room. Also, with the oversized panes of glass, they provide beautiful, clear, unobstructed views of the outside.
- They provide maximum ventilation – With the oversized panels open, sliding windows allow a much larger area for fresh air to come in and more ventilation to occur.
- They are perfect for odd spaces – Since they operate by moving side-to-side along a roller, they are great for tight or hard-to-reach places like stairwells or over a kitchen sink. As long as you can reach the bottom of the window, you can operate it.
Sliding windows make a wonderful choice for some of your replacement windows in Mountain View, CA. With benefits such as adding more sunlight and ventilation to a space, ease of operation, and being so easy to clean, these windows are a great fit for any space in your home.