If you have just installed new replacement windows in Los Gatos, CA., you want to keep them looking and functioning like new as long as you can. Knowing how to properly maintain them can go a long way in ensuring they last for years to come. From cleaning your windows to checking them for cracks, keep reading for tips to keep your windows like new.
Keeping Your New Windows Clean
Keeping your windows clean of dirt and debris is truly important all year round. If you have small particles such as dirt on your windows, the window can become scratched or damaged.
Also, while a little dirt here and there doesn’t look like much, if left unattended, the build-up can cause spots on your window to block out the natural light from coming in making your inside space dimmer.
To properly clean your windows on the inside, follow these steps:
- Fill a large bowl with cool water and a little bit of dish soap
- Using a microfiber cloth, use the soapy water and wipe down the top of the window down to the bottom, then dry
- Use a home recipe or store-bought home window cleaner and spray it onto the window
- Use a lint-free towel, paper towels, or even the newspaper to wash off
. Follow these steps to clean the outside of your windows:
- Wash off your windows with the hose to get rid of most of the grime and dirt
- Just as with cleaning the inside, use a microfiber cloth and soapy water to wash away any remaining dirt
- Rinse the window off with the hose
- Use homemade or commercial window cleaner and spray on the window
- If you have a rubber-bladed squeegee, use it to wipe the cleaner off, or use a lint-free towel
Regularly Inspect Windows
Make it a point to inspect your windows on a regular and rotating basis. Look for cracks, leaks, or other signs of damage. Inspecting your windows like this will ensure you catch any damage early. If the repair is minor you may be able to fix it yourself before it grows into something bigger. Of course, always call professionals to repair if you feel it is out of your ability.
Clean and Lubricate the Window
Keeping the window track clean of debris and dirt will help it to open and close easily for years to come. One way to keep the track clean is to get a dry brush and sweep any debris away. Another thing to do is apply some oil-free lubricant to the around the track. This will also help ensure your window opens and closes smoothly.
Investing in new windows for your home is a big purchase and you want to make sure they last. Paying a little attention to your new windows and performing routine and regular maintenance will ensure they last for the many years to come.
If you have not installed new replacement windows in Los Gatos, CA., yet, but considering doing so, make sure to reach out to My Window & Door Solutions. With their knowledgeable staff ready to help answer any questions you have, you can be assured you are choosing the right windows for your home.